Monday, April 20, 2009

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman was a dick.

In Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket, R. Lee Ermey plays the drill sergeant in charge of the training of young marines. By training, I mean constructive criticism, a helpful attitude, and a persona of quiet, wise guidance. Here are the nine most helpful pieces of advice he offers in the movie, in no particular order:

9) "If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon. You will be a minister of death, praying for war. But until that day, you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human fucking beings! You are nothing but unorganized grab-ass-tic pieces of amphibian shit."

8) "Who the fuck said that? Who's the slimy little comet of shit twinkle-toed cocksucker down here who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh? The fairy fucking godmother said it. Out-fucking-standing. I'll [physical train] you all until you fucking die!"

7) "I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you. You can come over to my house and fuck my sister!" *punches Private Joker in the gut*

6) "You had best unfuck yourself or I will unscrew your head and shit down your neck!"

5) "I bet you're the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach around! I'll be watchin you!"

4) "Private Pyle, I'm gonna give you three seconds, exactly three fucking seconds to wipe that stupid looking grin off your face, or I will gouge out your eyeballs and skullfuck you!"

3) "Private Pyle, you had best square your ass away and start shitting me Tiffany cufflinks. Or I will definitely fuck you up!"
2) "Move it! Are you quitting on me? Well are you? Then quit, you slimy fucking walrus looking piece of shit! Get the fuck off of my obstacle! Get the fuck down off of my obstacle! Now! Move it! I'm gonna rip your balls off so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world!"

1) "Were you born a fat slimy scumbag puke piece of shit, Private Pyle, or did you have to work on it? Move it up! Quickly! Hustle up! The fuckin war will be over by the time we get up there, won't it, Private Pyle? Move it! Are you going to fucking die, Pyle? Are you going to die on me? Do it now! [...] Do you feel dizzy? Do you feel faint? Jesus H. Christ, I think you've got a hard-on!"
I was originally planning on commenting on each of those statements, but I really don't think anything I can say can do justice to Gunnery Sergeant Hartman's effective leadership skills.

Pictured: Effective Leadership Skills

Hartman ends up punishing the entire platoon (brigade? I don't know, I can't be bothered with things like research) every time Private Pyle makes a mistake. This causes them to respond by beating Pyle mercilessly with bars of soap wrapped in towels. The constant abuse from the sergeant combined with his utter social ostracism leads to Pyle's mental breakdown. Though he makes it all the way through boot camp, on the last night he murders Gunnery Sergeant Hartman and then turns his rifle on himself (Spoiler. Fuck off, the movie came out like 20 years ago.)
Because he announced in his opening monologue that he was a raging dickhead, he gets some grace points, ending up at a 6.5/10 on the International Dickhead Scale.

1 comment: